Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Steve Jobs

Talkin' Forbes Magazine, back in February 14, 2011. "Tech Trade"' page 40.
I first read this article a month ago (today is October 9, 2011). A comprehensive comment about Steve Jobs, back in February, telling Steve to go on home. And now he's dead, died four days ago.

A month ago, when I first read this article, "Time To Step Down, Steve" I made a few scribbled notes in the margin and I underlined some stuff. Since I had just acquired my iPad 2, I underlined "tablets" and "smartphones" in the article. And since I just heard of iPad and iTunes I underlined iMac and iPhone besides.

This writer, Eric Savitz, who apparently writes the "Tech Trade" in Forbes Magazine, noted that Tim Cook, Apple's COO, had the respect of Wall Street and the Valley (Silicon), back in February. And Savitz said some scary things about the state of Steve Jobs' health.
Savitz spoke of Jobs' intuitive sense of what people want, and a whole paragraph predicting the future at Apple, with or without Jobs.

What I wrote in the margin, a month ago, was my first comprehension that Jobs was ill, and that he might recuperate better at home: "maybe like Gabby Gifford", I wrote. Not that I have expressed that opinion about Gabby to anyone else...
When Jobs died, the media went nuts, and so did I. Now learning more and more about Steve Jobs every day, I remembered I had just become acquainted with him, so to speak, through this article by Eric Savitz. Going back to it was kind of like re-reading a prophesy. And I couldn't help wondering if Jobs himself had read this prophesy, back in February.

Like Jobs, I also battled cancer, but wasn't required to have any organs replaced, though I went through the chemotherapy-radiation schtick. I wasn't a genius like he was, and I didn't have the incredible responsibilities, but I know how the drugs shoot the nerves and bring the fatigue, and I know the blast furnace in the eyes, and living on the toilet, how these drugs make it impossible to sleep - no sleep all night, no sleep until you pass out in the afternoons. You have to fight and fight.

It took him eight months to die. You just get so weak you can hardly walk. And that's WITHOUT Jobs' responsibilities.

In his honor I would like to say the iPad 2 compels me - even though I do not have wi- fi or an ISP in my home - I might as well be on the road- compels me to script out my thoughts in emails at all hours of the day and night, because they'll save. Carrying the iPad almost everywhere with me in the car, I have three free wi - fi spots I hit so far, to push my emails out. The Safeway, (Starbucks) the Church, and the Library. I think even Walmart would do a brisker business if the'd offer wi-fi in their little restaurants.

I don't know anything about Steve Jobs' other Apple products, because this iPad 2 was sent me unsolicited by my adult son Clement (surprise!) and I find the virtual keyboard somewhat less than satisfying (frustrating), but I can tell you honestly that everywhere I take it I attract attention. The population is interested and no one seems to refrain from approaching me just because we're not acquainted, when they see the iPad2. Right after Jobs passed away a lady came up to me and confided that even at the higher cost, she simply wanted one, and she smiled and said she would buy it in Steve Jobs' honor.

Thanks to the public library I sat in on a craft class and made this iPad carrier, which also attracts a lot of attention to my iPad. Hoping to upload the photo, the photo that of course I took with the iPad itself...

2 comments:

  1. In honor of Steve Jobs, I just bought a new MacBook Pro. (Actually, I really needed a new computer and have been putting it off). I am a 20+ year veteran of Mac computers - I would not own any other. They are totally worth the cost!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gigi S, it seems sometimes that these days a person can make do with one of these tablets or whatever, when previously they thought they needed a computer!
    Q: do you have wi-fi in your home or at your office?

    ReplyDelete